Business and Investor Immigration
Entrepreneurs who are successful in their field and are looking for new opportunities for enhancement are always embraced by Canada. The Business Immigration Program allows these individuals with their unique and innovative business ideas or plans to immigrate to Canada by starting a business in any province in the country. Both the federal and provincial governments accept business immigrants and offer services to help immigrants start a business and settle in Canada.
This Page Provide:
- Start up Business and Requirements
- Quebec Business Immigration program
- Investor Program
- Self Employed Worker Program
- Provincial Nomination
- Program Fess
A start-up business must be a new business intended to be operated anywhere in Canada at the time the commitment is made and prospective business immigrants under Startup Visa Business Class will have to pitch their innovative idea and prepare a business plan that would potentially create new jobs and compete globally so that it is considered by the selected designated organizations. The designated organization must validate a business idea before participants can apply for a work permit and permanent residence.
Key requirements for applicants under the Start-up Business Class:
Obtaining a Letter of Support
For your application to be eligible for processing, you must have received a Letter of Support from either a designated venture capital fund confirming that it is investing at least $200,000 in a qualifying business or a designated angel investor group confirming that it is investing at least $75,000 in a qualifying business or a designated business incubator confirming that it is accepting the applicant into its business incubator program. You must include Letter of Support that is valid for a period of 6 months from the issuance date, with your application else, your application will be returned to you as incomplete.
Language proficiency in English, in French or both
Proficiency in English, French or both will help you in the Canadian labour market. As a business immigrant you must meet the language proficiency requirement for the Start-up Business Class of at least benchmark level 5 in either official language for all four language skill areas.
Immigrants under start up business must also show enough amount of money they need to support them & their family after arriving in Canada as The Government of Canada does not provide financial support to business immigrants. These amounts are updated every year and is determined by the family size. The funds must be readily available and transferable, and free from debts/borrowings or any other obligations.
If you meet all three requirements explained above, then you are a successful business immigrant however, it is vital to know that designated organizations receive 1000s of applications for support across the globe, hence it is not as easy as it may sound.
Quebec Business Immigration program:
Quebec is a prime location for businesses looking to conquer North American markets, with easy access to a market of over 130 million consumers within a radius of 1,000 kilometres. Low operating costs and competitive Labour, energy, and commercial construction and lease costs are attractive for Entrepreneur’s and business investors to explore new opportunities and challenges in Quebec. This province offers a diversified, dynamic, modern and outward-looking economy and an advantageous corporate tax system. Quebec has more than 200 industrial parks that offer a highly favourable business environment for Business Immigrants who are eligible for one of the three Immigration programs described below:
- Entrepreneur Program, Stream 1 Under this program you can carry out your project alone or
with others, up to a maximum of three other foreign nationals who have submitted applications for permanent
selection as entrepreneurs for the same project. Your business project is the key factor in assessing
your application. It must be presented in the form of a business plan, as well as a service offer that
outlines and describes all the services that it plans to offer in order to carry out the project. Business
Immigrants applying through this stream must settle in Quebec to create and operate a business for which a
service offer from a business accelerator or incubator or a university entrepreneurship center has
already been received.
Lastly, all the members of the family accompanying you, your spouse spouse of 16years of age or older and your dependent children of 18years of age or older must obtain an attestation of learning about democratic values and the Quebec values within the stipulated time.
- Entrepreneur Program, Stream2 Entrepreneurs wishing to immigrate to Quebec under this
stream requires to have a business in operation during the five years prior to the date of application and
any such business cannot be acquired that was purchased, in the five years prior to submitting your
selection application, from an immigrant selected as an entrepreneur under the program. A minimum net worth
of CAD $900,000, alone or with your spouse or de facto spouse is required for Entrepreneur program
If starting your own business than Business Immigrant should own & control at least 25% of its equity capital. However, if a businessperson is acquiring an existing business than ownership and control of at least 51% of its equity capital is a must.
- Restricted Business activities:
- Production, distribution, or sale of pornographic or sexually explicit products or services related to the sex industry, such as nude or erotic dancing, escort services or erotic massages
- Payday loans, cheque cashing, or pawnbroking
- Real estate development or real estate or insurance brokerage
The assessment of the application will also take into account other factors such as age, Level of education, French and English language, Financial, self-sufficiency, prior visits to Quebec, Family in Quebec, if any.
This program benefits those who have management experience for at least two years in the five years preceding the application for selection. Under this program, Business Investor make a five-year term investment of C$1,200,000 with Investissement Québec – Immigrants Investisseurs Inc. Brokers and trust companies offer the possibility of financing the investment. At the end of the five-year term, the financial intermediary will reimburse the applicant C$1,200,000 without interest, within 30 days. However, the amount reimbursed may vary if the applicant secure financing for the investment.
- Requirements in order to be eligible includes:
- Net assets of at least $2,000,000, legally acquired alone or with your accompanying spouse or de facto spouse, excluding any amounts received by donation less than six months before your application is submitted.
- The investment of C$1,200,000 for a five-year term which is guaranteed by the Government of Québec. The investment agreement is one of the documents to be submitted with the permanent selection application.
- The two years management experience must include duties related to the planning, management and control of financial, human or material resources under your authority. This does not include experience acquired in an apprenticeship, training or specialization leading to a diploma.
- Your intend to settle in Quebec.
- To sign an investment agreement with a financial broker or trust company authorizing to participate in the Investor Program.
- all the members of the family accompanying you, your spouse spouse of 16years of age or older and your dependent children of 18years of age or older must obtain an attestation of learning about democratic values and the Quebec values within the stipulated time.
The assessment of the application will also take into account other factors such as age, the nature and duration of any professional training and the applicant’s language skills.
Self Employed Worker Program(SEWP)
This program enables business persons to immigrate to Canada to practice a profession or business activity alone or with others, with or without paid assistance. An initial start-up deposit of $25,000 if you intend to practice your trade or profession outside the Montréal Metropolitan Community (MMC) area and $50,000 if you intend to practice your trade or profession in the MMC area at a financial institution situated in the same region must be made.
- Requirements in order to be eligible includes:
- A minimum net assets of C$100,000 in conjunction, if applicable, with your accompanying spouse or de facto spouse, and proof of its source and lawful acquisition
- At least two years of experience as a self-employed worker in the profession or trade you intend to practice in Québec
- All the members of the family accompanying you, your spouse spouse of 16years of age or older and your dependent children of 18years of age or older must obtain an attestation of learning about democratic values and the Quebec values within the stipulated time.
Business Immigration through Provincial Nominee Programs
Under this program, Business Immigrant intending to potentially obtain permanent residency and eventually Canadian citizenship register an expression of interest with preferred province. After receiving an application invitation and passing the interview, a performance agreement with the province is signed. After doing this Canadian work permit is applied. Once you arrive in Canada as a foreign worker, you’ll establish your company and operate your business according to the performance agreement that was signed. Lastly, you’ll apply for nomination and, subsequently, for permanent residence. This application process however vary province by province and details of which are as below
- New Brunswick:
Provincial Nominee Program (“NBPNP”) — Entrepreneurial Stream.
Provincial Nominee Program (“NBPNP”) — Post-Graduate Entrepreneurial Stream.
- Nova Scotia:
Nominee Program (“NSNP”) — Entrepreneur Stream.
Nominee Program (“NSNP”) — International Graduate Entrepreneur Stream.
Provincial Nominee Program — Business Investor Stream (Entrepreneur Pathway).
Provincial Nominee Program — Business Investor Stream (Farm Investor Pathway).
Immigrant Nominee Program (“OINP”) — Corporate Stream.
Immigrant Nominee Program (“OINP”) — Entrepreneur Stream.
Immigrant Nominee Program (“SINP”) — Entrepreneur Category.
Immigrant Nominee Program (“SINP”) — Farm Owner/Operator Category.
- British Columbia
- Provincial Nominee Program (“BC PNP”) — Entrepreneur Immigration Stream
- Provincial Nominee Program (“BC PNP”) — Entrepreneur Immigration — Regional Pilot
- Northwestern Territories:
- Nominee Program — Entrepreneur Business Stream. The Business Stream is ideal for those who
want to start a business in the NWT, purchase an existing business, or invest in and operate an existing
business based here. One can expect no wait-list, faster processing times, and real people in the NWT
assisting the immigration process from start to finish. Once the application is approved, a two-year legal
agreement between the applicant and the Government of the Northwest Territories, outlining the obligations
that must be fulfilled in order to receive a nomination certificate is entered.
Requirements in order to be eligible includes:
- 1. Applicants must commit to invest a minimum of $300,000 equity into starting or buying a business within the corporate boundaries of Yellowknife, Northwest Territories; or a minimum of $150,000 equity into starting or buying a business outside of the corporate boundaries of Yellowknife, Northwest Territories.
- 2. Ownership of at least 33.3% of the business, unless the personal equity investment is at least $1,000,000.
- 3. Proof of a personal net worth of at least $500,000 if starting or buying a business within the corporate boundaries of Yellowknife, Northwest Territories; or at least $250,000 CDN if starting or buying a business outside the corporate boundaries of Yellowknife, Northwest Territories.
- Ready and willing to settle full-time in the NWT.
- Language proficiency of 4 against CLB 4 in English or the equivalent language level against NCLC in French upon application. The test results fare accepted only from the IELTS or CELPIP if submitting results in English, and TEF if submitting results in French. Test results must be no older than two (2) years at the time of application.
- Reasonable demonstration of knowledge and understanding of the Northwest Territories and its economy along with communication skills appropriate to conduct business in the Northwest Territories and to integrate into the local community.
- Sufficient financial resources to start and operate a business and support yourself and any dependents for the duration of the applicant’s Business Performance Agreement.
- No active application with any other provincial or territorial nominee program; no active application with any other stream of the Nominee Program in the NWT ; and no Refugee Claimant.
- Prince Edward Island
- Provincial Nominee Program (“PEI-PNP”) — Work Permit Stream.The Prince Edward Island Provincial Nominee Program (PEI PNP) is administered by the Office of Immigration in partnership with the federal government. If you are interested in immigrating to Prince Edward Island and would like to invest in and run a business, you may be eligible for a nomination for permanent residency through the Work Permit Stream of the Prince Edward Island Provincial Nominee Program (PEI PNP). Priority will be given to applicants who have the greatest potential to become economically established in PEI. This stream is for foreign nationals with business ownership or extensive management experience who would like to move to PEI to start their business, and eventually become a permanent resident.
- Requirements in order to be eligible includes
- A minimum verifiable personal net worth of $600,000 which has been accumulated through legal and legitimate sources in your own right;
- A minimum education of secondary school equivalent;
- Be within 21-59 years of age at the time of application;
- have transferable management skills and past employment or business ownership experience;
- Minimum language requirements equivalent to a CLB/NCLC 4.
- Intend to live and work in PEI while providing day-to-day active and ongoing management of your PEI-based company
- Attend an interview with staff from the Office of Immigration. Meet the terms and conditions of the Performance Agreement signed with the Office of Immigration.
According to the PEIPNP, once you have fulfilled all of the terms and conditions of your Performance Agreement you will be issued a nomination certificate. You are then responsible for filing your Application for Permanent Residency with IRCC, who will assess it for admissibility factors.
- Yukon Business Nominee Program (“YBNP”).Applications that meet the program’s requirements
are placed in a pool of potential candidates for 6 months. Only the selected candidates from the pool are
asked to submit documents to verify the information contained in the original application. If your
application meets the eligibility requirements, an in-person interview in Yukon is conducted. After
successful interview, applicants get a 2-year work permit from the federal government so as to start their
new business in Yukon and allows you and your family members to get accustomed in Yukon. At the end of the 2
years permit period if eligibility requirements outlined below are met than the permanent residency
application is forward to the federal government.
Requirements in order to be eligible includes:
- Have a net worth of at least $500,000. You must also have documentation and verification by a Yukon accounting firm that you obtained it through legal means;
- Have a minimum of $300,000 in liquid assets like cash, bonds and cash derivatives and verification by a Yukon accounting firm that you obtained it through legal means;
- Achieve a score of at least 65 points on the assessment grid.
- Have at least a high school education. If your business requires more education, you must also provide proof of these credentials.
- Have at least 3 years of entrepreneurial or business management experience; or have at least 5 years work experience that is relevant to your business; and Hold a position within your business of NOC 0 or A.
- Not be a refugee or have an active request for refugee status with the Government of Canada;
- Have never been denied immigration by the Government of Canada; or have no active applications for any other provincial or territorial nominee program;
- Intend to permanently live in Yukon; and agree to live in Yukon with dependents, if applicable, while managing and investing in your own business in Yukon.
- Show how you will invest at least $300,000 in capital investments for the business in the first 2 years. This does not include any capital investments such as property or equipment made before your acceptance into the Yukon Business Nominee Program.
- Proposed new business or a purchase of an existing Yukon business must belong to any 1 of the
following strategic sectors:
- Information technology
- Value-added processing
- Tourism products, attractions, services and facilities
- Mining or mineral development
- Cultural industries
- Film and video production
- Restricted sectors and activities for business:
- Passive investments/li>
- Retail, wholesale operations, distribution operations
- Financial services
- Business, consultation and personal services
- Most professional services
- Real estate
- Holding companies
- Gas stations
Full Package : Failure to correctly complete the relevant application and submit the
required supporting documents will result in your application being denied. It is worth noting that 55% of
applications submitted without the help of an immigration representative are denied because they are
incomplete or contain simple errors. ANS Immigration application preparation and submission services will
give you peace of mind that you are being expertly guided and represented until your visa is issued.
Do It Yourself : Having your application reviewed by our legal team will help to eliminate common errors and omissions, as well as identify more serious issues that may result in a refusal. Our Application Checking Service will save you time, money, and stress by providing you with peace of mind and removing the uncertainty that you have correctly completed the relevant application and supporting documentation.
Below is the program price list to choose from, Influenced by the complexity of the case price may change.